Getting published – talk by Alysoun Owen, editor of The Writers’ & Artists’ Yearbook
February 8, 2014
Alysoun’s talk focused on the changing landscape of publishing, self-publishing strategies and what publishers have to offer. I was particularly interested in ‘how to hook an agent’. What she had to say was pragmatic and at times sobering. Suffice to say a lot of people write but not many make much money at it. Fine if you’re writing because you have something to say or a particular way to say it.
- there are more opportunities than ever to have your work read
- you can help your chances by knowing how it all works and being canny
- have a clear conception of your work, the genre and who will read it
- social media and blogs give you the opportunity to build an audience
- be patient AND ambitious.
Alysoun mentioned the vibrancy of the poetry scene when asked, and the many readings and events happening across the country.
Leave a comment
You must log in to post a comment.